Sunday 18 September 2011

Day 0 Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire-Penzance-Trevescan, Cornwall


Finished work at 9am then walked to Enterprise to pick the car up. Got a nice blue Focus. Once I got home, I packed it up with the bike and kit and headed west.
The journey was very straightforward down to Penzance where I dropped the car off. The staff very kindly let me use their office so I could change into my cycling kit and pack my normal clothes into my rack bag before taking the first tentative pedal stroke towards Land’s End.
After an hour’s hard cycling, I reached the hostel only to find it locked up. I rang the owner who said she was an hour away so she gave me the required door code over the phone so I could get in and have a shower. The hostel itself has only been open since May and is in a wonderful location about half a mile from Land’s End in the hamlet of Trevescan.
That evening, I met up with an old university friend who happens to live in Truro. We met in the First & Last Pub in Sennen for tea. I ordered chicken curry that appeared as a chicken breast covered in chip shop curry sauce and a very oily poppadum! I suppose if it’s the last pub, diners don’t have a lot of choice!
After tea we drove down to Land’s End and watched a great fireworks display that runs every Tuesday night throughout August. This was a lovely way to start my trip and I treated it as a personal send off just for me!



No comments:

Post a Comment